What is Newsworthy?

Cubs of the Caliphate

Timing - 4/4
We have been hearing about ISIS for years now, always hearing about how they need to be stopped and how bad they are. It's always nice to get another update on what's happening with the group, and it's especially nice to hear a story about the people that have gotten out of ISIS. I think this article deserves a 4/4 for timing because it is an update on ISIS.

Significance - 4/4
The news rarely talks about the people that manage to escape from ISIS and the ones that attempt to get help. I think that it is very significant to hear a story about the kids that were in ISIS and are now trying to escape from the group, because it helps show how not every member of ISIS wants to be apart of the group and are sometimes forced into it. I give this a 4/4 because I think the people who have escaped are significant and the article shows another side to these people than the normal side we all see.

Proximity - 2/4
This story takes place nowhere near Canada, but Canadians can still relate to this story, because people are always scared of terrorists, no matter where they live. This story shows that people are trying to get out of the terrorists groups, and while we should be afraid of the people in these groups that want to hurt us, we should also understand that some people in these groups need our help to escape. I gave this a 2/4 because while this story isn't near Canada, and can still be classified as important for Canadians.

Prominence - 2/4
I only gave this article a 2/4 for prominence because while I personally think this is an important topic, not many people would know about it. A lot of people just assume that every member of ISIS are there willingly and want to hurt people, but this story shows otherwise. So, while this story is important, not a lot of people would know about, or even want to read it.

Human Interest - 4/4
I gave this article a 4/4 for human interest because it shows the actual human side of the ISIS members and it appeals to peoples emotions by showing the struggles of trying to escape ISIS and dealing with the mental problems that come with it.

Seeing red

Timing - 3/4
I gave this article a 3/4 because while the subject matter happened in Canada and is very interesting, it happened a year ago, so this post is a bit late. I only docked it one point because it probably took the person who wrote the article the year to gather all the information.

Significance - 4/4
I gave this article full points for significance because I think that it's important to talk about subjects like this. It can give people more information on why others kill, and it shows that people need more screening when they are hired.

Proximity - 4/4
I gave this article full marks for proximity because it happened in Canada. We like to think that we are a perfectly peaceful country, but this article shows that there are crazy people even here.

Prominence - 3/4
I gave this article a 3/4 because while everybody in Canada heard about this story when it happened, I don't think it would have been covered very in depth anywhere else in the world. I only took one mark away for this though, because I think that it is at least very prominent to the Canadian reader.

Human Interest - 4/4
I gave this article full marks for human interest because I truly think that people would be interested in reading about this. For one this it happened in Canada so it hits close to home, but also it was a nurse that committed the act, so I think a lot of people would want to hear why she did it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting With The Basics

Caught in Lies: Liars Are Bad, Readers Are Sad

Hard News vs. Soft News